Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Island

I had the opportunity this week to spend some time out on Catalina with some of the greatest people I know. For those who don't know, I have spent anywhere from a week to an entire summer in Catalina since I was twelve years old. I started there as a camper and eventually worked on staff for the Boy Scouts for eight years. It truly is my home away from home. The island has provided me so much and has shaped me into the person I am today. I have learned how to interact with peers, elders, and those younger than me, developed my love for teaching things I am passionate about, and created life long friends who will be there for me as I am there for them.

So, needless to say I wanted to soak in the island before I left to go back east for my training. I couldn't have asked for a better trip. I arrived to open arms, hospitality, and weather to be envious of. Although it may not sounds like a vacation but I spent the three days I was there building a deck site. I enjoyed every second of the hard work mixed with our philosophical conversations (country music being one topic). I definitely could not have asked for a more perfect send off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sounds like the perfect little get away before you go, I'm glad you got to do it!